Thursday, July 5, 2012

...why a blog?... or, the importance of an audience ...or, an introduction

For more than a decade now I have played a variety of forms of the educator, the student, the writer, and the performer.  In all these settings one of the most important parts was having the audience/reader/mentee/mentor there to converse with.  Whatever the conversation was, whatever the dynamic, having what I will refer to mainly as "the audience"  pushes me forward in thought and action.  The bigger the show the bigger the performance.  The more audience members at the match, the harder I wrestler.  The more likely a poem is to be heard/read by a wider audience, the more work I put into writing and sometimes rehearsing it.  But I haven't answered the initial question - why a blog? Partly inspired by reading "Steal Like An Artist" (post on that to come soon), partly inspired by biking around Boston this summer giving me more thinking time (post on that to come soon too) and partly because now that I'm out of this past year's writing funk (surprise! post on that to come soon too) I want to find ways to keep myself writing and growing every single day.  I want to share places, poets, poems, moments, prompts, explorations, methods (and basically everything writing related except any of my poems) that I come across that I think might interest or help you.  I want to start those conversations. So now, let's have a conversation.  What do you think of this plan of mine?  What is something I should spend the time creating a paragraph on?  And really, what good is a blog?

With excitement for our journey,
Jason, the guy with eight pens in his pocket

Tomorrow: the pocketful of pens
The Day After Tomorrow: why you won't see my poems up here

No comments:

Post a Comment