Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"So you like poetry. Who's your favorite poet?"

Such a weird question.  It's not, but it totally is.  I used to have easier answers.  Not as in better, or more concise answers, just as in they were easier to say and believe.  The answer more and more is that I have poems/poets whose works/ambitions/poems/phrases/book structures I've learned more from.  It's a bit greedy to decide favorites purely based on personal benefit, but all I can think when I'm asked who are my favorites is who have I got the most from.  At the same time, now that I think about it this way, don't we pick our favorites in anything (food, activities, people, etc...) by what we get the most "X" out of?  Fill in that "X" with what you will.  But whatever it is it will probably be some form of use or enjoyment (though I think I would argue enjoyment is a use).  So I guess being a greedy reader is a sign of enjoying growth, of enjoying learning new things, of enjoying coming across doable challenges.  Ask a weird question, get a weird answer.


Tomorrow: Something I am always trying to work on.
The Day After Tomorrow: A ramble and some favorite quotes on style
The Day After That One: Rambling on style some more

No comments:

Post a Comment